This and that




I have been remiss in posting, and I do apologize. It's spring and I have been busy in the gardens, celebrating birthdays (Hubby Jeff's was yesterday) and spending time with baby Owen.

While pulling weeds and moving perennials around (I am the master at plant relocation by the way) I discovered that a mallard duck had made a nest in my daylily patch!



It's rather surprising because we are a good 8 blocks away from any water, but the information I have looked up says that they will nest from 1 foot to 1 mile from water. She has chosen to be about 1 mile, and it will be a long walk for her and the 10 ducklings when the time comes to get to the river. Luckily, she has nested in the front yard, right under our bedroom window, which is pretty safe from any animals!

It has put a crimp in my front yard clean-up though, as I have to stay away from the nest when she is roosting, or she flies out at my face!

Yesterday was Jeff's 49th birthday, and we had his family over for dinner and cake. The weather wasn't very nice, so we had to cram ourselves indoor's but it was great to see them. Son Jake brought Owen with him and Kerri went to another birthday party on her own, so we all got a chance to get some snuggle time with the baby. Jess was there as was Jeff's sister Julie and BIL Art, their daughters Eileen and Kathleen, Jeff's other sister Tina and her hubby Simon and daughter Rachel drove up from Whitby for the evening, and his Mom and Dad came in from Norwood. Jeff's Aunt Carol, cousin Deanna and BF John came over for dessert.



Jeff got phone calls from Adam (Czech Republic) in the afternoon, and from Brani (Slovakia) at 10pm! That made it 4am in Slovakia, but we both got a chance to have a good long chat since our company had just shut the door behind them when he called. We still miss him like crazy and are hoping to go over next summer to see him, and Adam's family, as well as visit Italy.

Adam's mom and stepdad got married yesterday, and when Adam phoned he filled us in on the wedding, and his training and school. He is coming back to us on August 8th, and his hockey won't start for 3 or 4 weeks after that, so we hope to take him to Wonderland, the Toronto zoo, and of course shopping and lots of fishing!

Baby Owen is 12 weeks old now, and is grinning and blowing rasberries and gurgling away now. Of course we had to take a few zillion pictures of him!







Today is a lazy day. I haven't been doing much in the way of stitching although I have a few things started as usual, but my fingers have been busy pulling weeds! I have a ton of projects that I want to do but there isn't enough time in the day, or energy in my body. I'll get to them eventually though. I'm tired from yesterday, so I'll spend it recovering...but it was totally worth it. Off for a nap, then to watch Detroit play some hockey.

Comments

  1. Owen is so cute!!! Maybe your mama duck saw your bird statue and thought it would be a safe place. I hope you get pictures when they hatch. How neat it that!! I am also great at plant relocation. My DH tells me I don't give plants a chance to make a home for themselves before I yank them out and move them to a different spot. I can't make a decision to save my life most times so I think that's why I'm always moving them. Happy birthday to your DH. Have a restful rest of the day.
    ~Melissa~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you posting again ~ we miss you when you're 'gone'! And glad to see you in the garden ~ it's good therapy, isn't it? I like your nesting duck better than that Mrs. Turkey that made herself at home here ~ a duck is at least cute!! We'll have a hatching dual ~ and see who's eggs crack open first!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to see a bit more of 'your life' through your photos Trudy. Your garden, home and family all look wonderful.

    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Owen is adorable, sounds like you had a great party, lots of family around is always a great time!

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy belated Birthday to Jeff. At 49, he's still just a kid, at least compared to me!! And how I love the pictures of Owen. What a cutie he is. And I can imagine you and Jeff dote on him.

    How lucky for you that you have a duck nesting in your yard. We have a pair of ducks that have been coming to our backyard and eating the seed on the ground from our birdfeeders. Lately, Mom hasn't been around as much as her mate so I'm hoping she's nest sitting somewhere.

    Love your yard, Trudy. I wish I could do that with my front yard but my yard is quite a bit bigger than yours and the mulch alone would drain our budget.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to see you back. owen is adorable!!Do keep us informed on the Ducks. Have a good rest.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I would love your opinion...