Rusting bells nails and pins.

My father-in-law gave me a whole jar of nails with the square heads that he pulled out of his church pews many, many years ago. They were renailing the pews and he saved all of the nails since they were the square top kind, and were all different sizes. He even rubbed them all with WD40 so they wouldn't rust over the years. I greedily took them, and promptly got them ready for rusting. I hope that he isn't reading this blog cause the nails are well over 100 years old, but I like them rusty! So with me doing that, I thought that I would share my primitive rust recipe that isn't too toxic to dispose of.

First, place your items to be rusted into a container that has a lid preferably tin or glass. Those $5.00 candles with the glass lids from Michaels are good ones to save. Pour enough bleach into the container to cover the items you are rusting, and then put the lid on. Leave it alone for at least 24 hours. I then drain the bleach into the toilet (get a second use out of it as a disinfectant!), leaving the metal items still damp in the jar.

Next, cover them with cider vinegar and add in a a couple of tablespoons of salt. Cover again, and let sit another 24 hours. Pour the used vinegar down the drain (you can also get a second use of this as a drain unclogger if it follows a dose of baking soda) leaving the damp bells/safety pins/what have you in the jar. Put the jar out in the sun to dry, with the lid off, and the metal items in it will rust as they dry.

And voila, rusty nails, bells, or what have you!

Comments

  1. THANKS for posting this! Ive been trying to rust bells for weeks now and all they did was turn black with a little rust!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Trudy,
    I wish I would have seen this earlier, mine are outside sitting after using bleach and white vinigar (that's all I had) I'll have to check them, if they aren't rusty I'll try your recipe:)
    Have a good day!
    Rondell

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love rusty nails also - thanks for the recipe....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank-you for the great tutorial on rusting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your recipe!!! So this will work on those shiny jingle bells?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats exactly what I used, those cheap shiny jingle bells:) It worked great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's the same recipe that I use! :) It works pretty nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, when you need a rusty jingle bell, you REALLY need one (ok several). I am so grateful to have a way to make my own. Thanks for sharing your technique --- it is greatly appreciated. Love your blog, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. AWESOME!!! Thanks so very much for posting! (^:

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I would love your opinion...